Stormwater is a leading source of water pollution in the U.S. Stormwater runoff is created when rain or snow melts on surfaces that cannot or do not absorb it (e.g. streets, sidewalks, lawns on compact soil). As the precipitation runs over these surfaces, it accumulates pollutants such as debris, sediment and chemicals. If not managed correctly, they can compromise the quality of water in lakes, rivers and coastal areas.
Runoff from construction sites can be especially harmful. Stormwater pollution poses such a threat that the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency instituted standards for stormwater management in areas that are established and developed.
Efficient Pollution Prevention
ENCAP, Inc. offers expertise in controlling stormwater discharge through best management practices (BMPs) including management and review of Stormwater Pollution Prevention Plans (SWPPPs) for residential, commercial and industrial developments. A SWPPP outlines all efforts to prevent stormwater contamination and comply with the EPA’s Clean Water Act.
ENCAP stormwater management also comprises:
- Acquisition of National Pollutant Discharge Elimination System (NPDES) permits
- Site and plan reviews by Certified Professional in Erosion and Sediment Control (CPESC) and Designated Erosion Control Inspectors (DECI)
- Installation of sediment control BMPs (silt fence, ditch checks, inlet protection)
- Installation of erosion control BMPs (hydromulch, straw mulch, erosion control blanket, turf reinforcement matting, custom stabilization seed mixes, polyacrylamide selection and usage)
- Maintenance of soil erosion and sediment control BMPs
- Notice of Termination filing
- Change-of-ownership management
Managing stormwater runoff and keeping water clean is vital to both personal and environmental health. ENCAP helps ensure you take the proper steps before a problem can form. Contact us at (815) 748-4500 today to find out more about pollution prevention through stormwater management.